Friday, February 6, 2009

Advent Calendar

So in late November I looked through the seasons latest
Pottery Barn Kids catalog.  I saw a fantastic advent calendar with fun little 
pockets that hangs on the back of a door and the price tag quickly inspired 
my creativity.  Many of my creative motivations are born out of the
 idea that, "I could do it cheaper."  In this particular case the price tag 
being near $70 dollars drove my motivation.  

As I took notes on the calendar and how I might tweak it and make it for 
my kids, the idea quickly grew into a gift idea for my nieces and nephew 
as well.  I wanted to give them something that would encourage a special 
family tradition.  So, this was perfect.  It was a lot of work, 
but so much fun.  When I finished my last pocket I asked myself, 
why couldn't I have discovered this idea in August!?!

Here it is ready to be stitched onto the felt tree.
Oh, and I also decided that Santa did not belong on Christmas Day, 
baby Jesus did.  So, here is what my mom came up with as an idea 
for Christmas day.  I love how it turned out.  Two were given as gifts. 
 I have yet to assemble our family's calendar and my sister ennifer and 
bro-in-law John's, (sans children) is in process as well. 
But all 100 pockets are finished!  

'twas the night before Christmas and all through the house...
Lars was a big help in the project.  He came up with the idea 
to do Santa Lucia, sleigh bells, the candy cane, 
the holly leaves and others I'm sure. 



Here is the finished product. Each pocket is ready to hold a special treat, 
note, or other prize as the kiddos count down the days until Christmas.  
Now they just have to wait a year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment